Briony Caitlin Klingberg was a 10-year-old girl who lived in Adelaide, Australia. One day, he began to feel ill and have a fever. But it was not until she stopped eating and drinking when her mother, Bridget, began to worry.
Bridget took Briony to several doctors, but none of them found out what was happening to the girl. All sent home without a specific diagnosis. None detected that Briony suffered from the herpes simplex virus, a very common infection, but at the same time, very dangerous. Upon returning home, the little girl began to vomit and have trouble swallowing.
Her parents took her back to the doctor and it was then that they detected that what appeared to be simple herpes in the throat were mouth sores. Even so, he was diagnosed with a general throat infection and prescribed antibiotics.
He was told to go home and to come back in a week to see how he was doing. But, unfortunately, the little girl did not live long enough to go back to the doctor …
Briony Klingberg, a healthy girl of 10 years, suddenly began to feel bad and have a fever. She stopped eating and drinking, and began to have trouble swallowing.
Her mother, Bridget, took her to several doctors, but none came up with her diagnosis. Finally, they found ulcers in her throat and sent her home. But his case was much more serious than that. Briony suffered from the herpes simplex virus, a common but dangerous infection.
Three days later, Briony suffered a multi-organ failure and died because of a herpes simplex virus that had not been treated.
Bridget, now an unrelieved mother, became very angry with the doctors who had treated her daughter.
"I was confident that if my daughter was very sick, they would have admitted her. "
The herpes virus was not detected until Briony died. The doctor who had treated her said that she had only seen this virus in tongues, gums and the inside of the lips, but never in the throat.
"I remember Briony and her infection every time I see a child … every time I look at someone's throat, "she said.
Herpes simplex virus (HSV) infections have a large number of symptoms, among which may be: sudden discomfort, fever, irritability, difficulty eating or drinking, gingivitis, excessive drooling or difficulty swallowing in babies, vesicular lesions in the tongue …
The most primary infection VHS1 occurs during childhood, and is spread mainly by contact with infected saliva.
In 2014, a newborn died because of complications related to the herpes simplex virus, which had been transmitted to her with a simple kiss.
Since then, many parents are manifesting about the danger of kissing babies, for this reason.
It is very important that all parents are aware of the existence of this virus and the symptoms it produces.
Do not forget share it to avoid more cases like this!
Cover image: Adelaide Now