The vagina is one of the most important organs of the female body, however, it is also one of the most unknown. Most women do not know their vagina as much as they should. This can lead to confusion and prevent you from identifying any illness in time. Therefore, in today's article we will explain how is really a vagina so you know if everything works correctly in yours
How is a healthy vagina?
We could say that the vagina is one of the main organs of the female genital tract. It consists of a canal with folds that connects the uterus to the exterior of the body, has an elongated shape and is covered by mucous membranes. In addition, it is separated from the vulva, which is the outer part, by a membrane called a hymen.
The size of the vagina of an adult woman can range between 8 and 12 centimeters and, because to its great elasticity, it can expand and contract in an impressive way. Note that there is no vagina like another, therefore, its shape, size and even elasticity, may vary in each woman.
What are the functions of a vagina?
The vagina is an essential organ in both sex and in pregnancy and childbirth. We can say that its main functions are the following:
- It is the conduit through which the menstrual flow leaves when the ovum has not been fertilized.
- Through it it expels the cervical mucus secreted by the cervix during the days before and after ovulation.
- It is the cavity that receives the penis during vaginal penetration, and in which is they deposit the sperm which will later reach the ovaries through the cervix.
- In it is the G-spot which generates great pleasure in the woman during the stimulation of the coitus
- Last, and probably most important, is the birth canal . That is, it is the conduit through which the fetus leaves at the moment of giving birth.
It should be noted that the vagina is only the conduit that connects the uterus with the outside. Many people confuse the vagina with the vulva, which is formed by the clitoris, the labia majora and labia, the pubic hill and the vulvar vestibule.
When should we worry about the condition of the vagina?
It is essential that you know your own body very well, including your genital tract, in this way, you will identify much faster any type of anomaly or alteration in its appearance or operation. If you see any of these symptoms, it is best to go to the gynecologist:
- Changes in the smell, color or amount of vaginal discharge
- Itching, irritation, swelling or redness in the area
- Abnormal bleeding
- Appearance of one or more lumps
- Presence of white and / or red dots
- Vaginal pressure or heaviness
How to care your vagina correctly?
- Use condom in all your sexual relations.
- Wash the genital area only with water and, if you want, use a specific soap for that area.
- Avoid using sponges and soaps with perfume.
- Wash all your sex toys thoroughly with water before using them.
- Change frequently from compresses or tampons when gas menstruation or use menstrual cups .
- Avoid the use of pants or stockings too tight .
- Keep the vaginal area always dry, except when you go to have sexual intercourse
- When you go to clean yourself after you do your needs, always do it from front to back.
- Always opt for cotton underwear .
Do you think you have a "normal" vagina? Tell us in the comments!
Share this interesting article with all your friends!
This article has been made for informational purposes only, it is not intended to provide advice doctor. ROLLOID is not responsible for the possible consequences of any treatment, procedure, exercise or modification of the diet, which is put into practice after reading this publication.